These sweet and sour meatballs are fried then simmered in the sauce, to let the flavor of the sauce seep into the meatballs. Simple and yummy, try it now!
Armin love food that has or is ground meat, his favorite –> BURGERS! I try to make them myself which I think is so much better than getting them from fast food restaurants all the time, at least I know (and have a say) what’s in them, right?! He likes them so much I get fed up with making and eating them! ?. So to break from monotony, we with have other food with ground meat, like spaghetti, lasagna, baked macaroni, spring rolls (Filipino version which he also really likes), Embutido (also Filipino food). Some of them need a bit of time to make and some are easy.
Then I had the idea to mix his favorite burgers with a touch of Filipino cooking. I know there are lots of different versions of Sweet and Sour Meatballs out there but this I got from my Mama. Although she never used measurements in cooking (like ever), she would only give me the ingredients and some instructions. But of course, she is the best cook in the world!!! Like every mother is to her children I think, only a lot of people called her “Mommy” when we still had a canteen near the university that my siblings and I attended, so there you go!
They are retired now but she still cooks every day for my Papa, my sister, and their grandchildren! And even now, I would sometimes get messages from my former classmates reminiscing about their favorite dish served in the canteen. I think that is how I get to love food and preparing them, I was trained in the kitchen at an early age, helping out with cutting and slicing and preparing the desserts whenever there were family occasions or gatherings. But even now, I can only hope to cook half as good as my Mama.
These Sweet and Sour Meatballs are first deep fried until brown and then simmered in the sauce for a couple of minutes, allowing the flavor of the sauce to seep into the meatballs. It is usually served with steamed rice as the main dish but can also be an appetizer for parties.
- For MEATBALLS:
- 500 g ground pork/beef (mixed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 small carrots, finely diced
- ½ cup flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- ⅛ cup Parmesan or grated hard cheese (optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- FOR SAUCE:
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 small onion, cut into 4 parts
- 1 small carrots, half cut into strips, half into flowers
- ½ cup bell pepper, cut into squares
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the meatballs and mix them well using your hands. Form balls using both hands about 1½ inch diameter.
- In a deep fry pan or deep fryer, fry the meatballs in hot oil. Set aside cooked meatballs.
- While waiting for the meatballs to fry, you can prepare the sauce. In a big or deep pan, heat oil on high. Stir fry and carrots strips for about 1-2 minutes, do not overcook. Turn heat to low. Add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and pour in water with cornstarch and ketchup. Stir until combines and sugar is dissolved. Now add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and let it simmer until sauce thickens for about 3-5 minutes. Add bell peppers and carrot flowers and cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer Sweet and Sour Meatballs to your serving dish.