Still about strawberries. This is my third post about strawberries for this month, I guess you now know how much I like them. I was thinking what to do with the strawberries we bought last time. First, I thought of making strawberry cheesecake but when I checked the fridge I saw that I have 1 cup of mascarpone left…hhmmm… so I did some experiment and what do you know! It was actually good! But I guess you cannot really go wrong with strawberries, right?
I used Victoria Sponge Cake with this recipe and it was perfect. I only made a small one (17cm round) so I cut the sponge cake recipe into half.
- 1 Sponge Cake
- 8 large strawberries
- For the CREAM:
- 250g mascarpone
- 200 ml all-purpose or whipping cream
- 1 pack gelatin powder
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- For the Strawberry SYRUP:
- 4Tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup strawberries, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp gelatin
- pinch of red food color (optional)
- Place the sponge cake in the middle of a cake ring or spring form, leaving at least 1 cm space around the edges of the cake to the ring. Set aside.
- Add gelatin powder to ¼ cup cold water. Once gelatin has bloomed, put it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to dissolve. Let it cool down.
- In a big bowl, add sugar to cream and whip using a mixer until soft peaks form. Add the gelatin slowly while continuously whipping for another minute. Add the marcarpone and mix well.
- Get the prepared form and sponge cake and position pieces of strawberries inside the cake forming a circle with even gaps. I placed 4 pieces first in opposite directions then the remaining 4 in between. Mark the middle of one of the strawberries, you can use a toothpick. This is to let you know where to cut later.
- Pour the cream over the cake and strawberries until all are fully covered. Cover with fling wrap or foil and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the strawberry syrup: Place water, sugar, color and strawberries in a saucepan and let it simmer. Remove from heat and add the gelatin powder. Mix well until the gelatin dissolved. Using a stab mixer or blender, puree the strawberry mixture. Strain and let cool.
- Remove the cake from the ring or spring form. Using the mark on one of the strawberries you made earlier, cut across the cake and then sideways making 4 equal parts. Drizzle chilled cake with strawberry syrup before serving.
250ml whipping or all purpose cream
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp gelatin powder, bloomed in 1 Tbsp cold water and then heated until dissolved (10 sec in microwave)
The remnants from the syrup (left on the sieve)
Whip the cream with while adding sugar until soft peaks from, Add the gelatin slowly while continuously whipping until stiff peaks shows. Add the remnants from the syrup and mix. Pipe rosettes on the chilled cake.
This Strawberry & Cream Cake sets really fast and stays firm afterwards. Perfect to serve on a party for any occasion.