I made this Chili Shepherd’s Pie at one of our family events and it was a really big hit! This Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is so easy to make with simple ingredients and can be done in a few minutes. An all in one dish for simple dinner or any special occasions.
Armin is absolutely crazy about this Chili Sheperd’s Pie. He would eat it every day if it is up to him. But I would not complain either because it takes really so less time and effort to assemble it. That is why I always stock on chili beans and instant mashed potato. This dish has saved me several times when I am having one of those ‘I-don’t-know-what-to-cook’ kind of days and would give Armin the chance to decide and sure enough, it would be…Shepherd’s Pie!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 150g ground beef
- 150g ground pork
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can green peas (optional)
- ½ cup red bell pepper (optional)
- 4 medium potatoes (see Tips below)
- ½ cup milk or more
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 c. shredded cheese
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Boil potatoes, mash and season to taste with milk and butter and salt.
- In a pan or skillet, saute garlic and onion in oil. Add the ground meat and stir until all of the meat is cooked, add soy sauce and pepper and let cook until brown. Add chili beans, peas and bell pepper and let it cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- In a deep baking dish, spread cooked meat and vegetable evenly. Then spread the mashed potatoes over the meat and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Place in oven under 400°F/200°C until cheese is bubbly or light brown.
You may also use other beans like white beans or chickpeas instead of chili beans.