Brighten up your day with this easy, simple recipe for Rainbow Salad with creamy avocado dressing. It beautiful…it’s colorful…it’s healthy and yummy!
Still trying to eat healthier…and still trying to lose the extra stuffing around my waist and hips created by the holiday seasons (and that of Armin’s), but to be honest, I am running out of new ideas to make it all easier and tastier. I have to admit that I am not a big fan of vegetables and salads. I mean, I eat them and love them but only as side dishes…so I guess I CAN NEVER BE A VEGETARIAN (*sad face with a sigh*). But we do still eat meat, only lesser because Armin had some problems with his uric acid. We are mostly trying to reduce on carbs.
So when I saw that avocados were now available in the market here, my first thought was to make… AVOCADO ICE CREAM!!! Hehehe, yeah that was the first thing that came to my mind. But I remembered we have to lose some weight…so no ice cream and sweets too! Maybe on our cheat day then..hehe! But for now I made this creamy Avocado Dressing! Yum!
In the Philippines, avocado is usually used for making cold dessert and drinks..aha! More about that in another post!
For the salad, I just used what are already in our pantry like carrots, pickled red cabbage (a German thing) and olives. Since I still have Philippine mangoes, I decided to add that for some contrast!
Fresh grated red cabbage, of course, can also be used for this recipe.
- AVOCADO DRESSING
- 1 small avocado
- 1 cup yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- RAINBOW SALAD
- 1 head romaine (or green leaf or red leaf lettuce or combination of all), cut into pieces
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup pickled red cabbage
- 1 ripe mango, cut into cubes
- 1 cup olives, green or black
- Place all of the ingredients for the avocado dressing in a mixer and pulse until smooth and creamy. Set aside until ready to use.
- Arrange the vegetables and mango cubes per serving/plate.
- Spoon some dressing and serve.