Layers and layers wafer-thin, crispy flakes is what makes a flaky pastry. And making a flaky Pie Crust usually takes a lot of time and effort. So if you are short of time and looking for a short-cut then here is one.
This flaky Pie Crust Recipe is perfect for Egg Pie (as shown in the photo), Apple Pie and for most pies actually.
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ c. lard, packed in cup
- 4-6 tbsp. ice water with1 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Sift flour and salt, cut in chilled lard with knife until particles are like small peas, not too small or the crust will be crumbly.
- Sprinkle in just enough water, while tossing lightly with a fork, to form a ball.
- Chill, if possible, to make for easier handling. Divide into nearly equal parts, roll into 2 crusts.
- Bake pies with custard or uncooked fruit filling in a hot oven, 425°F/220°C for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350°F/175°C..
Spread rolled out dough with lard, fold over, spread with lard again, fold and roll out.