Polvoron is a Filipino shortbread-like cookie/candy made of roasted flour, powdered milk, sugar and butter and this has added cashew in it to make it extra special. It is so easy to make and a real treat.
Making these Polvoron brought back memories from when I was still in grade school, I was in 5th grade if my memory serves me right. My mama made some for us and I brought a bag of it to school to snack on. My classmates started asking if they can buy some of my Polvoron and an idea was born! That afternoon when I came home, I asked my mama to make more Polvoron because my classmates liked them so much and I got some orders! The next day she bought all the materials and ingredients needed and we started to make a lot of Polvorons. My siblings and I were assigned with the wrapping and packaging. I think I sold each pack of 10 for 10 Pesos and our small business was a big success back then. All Polvorons made the previous day were always sold out the next day and even kids from other classes were also coming to me to buy some. It went on for some months and now I am wondering how can those kids (ok, me included) eat Polvoron every single day.
Mama’s Polvoron back then didn’t even have cashew in them like this one. Imagine if we also sold flavored Polvorons like the ones sold in Goldilocks now, we could have made a fortune!!! ;-b .Goldilocks is a popular bakeshop in the Philippines and they are also known for their Polvoron. I will not claim that this recipe for Polvoron with cashew taste exactly like theirs, it was not my aim to start with but I got really good feedback from my test subjects (i.e. myself, Armin, his work colleagues and my former colleagues)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups [url href=”http://amzn.to/2fZgrNr” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]powdered skim milk[/url]
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups ground cashew
- 200 grams melted butter, unsalted
- In a large pan or skillet, toast the flour over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 15 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Remove pan from heat and add the the powdered milk, sugar and ground cashew and mix until well combined.
- Add the melted butter and again mix well.
- Form polvoron using a [url href=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUPP5AS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=foxfol09-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00CUPP5AS&linkId=b0283d1132770633747f04c333b6ed8a” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]polvoron molder[/url] then wrap each in a [url href=”http://amzn.to/2fDkaMp” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]japanese/tissue paper[/url] or [url href=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BNJC8I/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=foxfol09-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B004BNJC8I&linkId=fbfc88fd92e7f2370b36e67bf74e7003″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]cellophane wrapper[/url]