You can have different toppings, like mixed fruits, strawberry sauce or filling, peaches or just anything that you like, but I like blueberry jelly sauce the best! You can also have it simply without any toppings at all.
This is also an ideal dessert for those who are on Low-carb diet (South Beach, PII) , just skip the crust and substitute sugar with artificial sweetener.
Some of ingredients below are in German, since I am in Germany and these are what´s available here, but I also wrote the English equivalent.
- 10-12 pcs Butterkeks(Butterbiscuits)-crushed until fine like crumbs
- ⅓ cup Sliced Almonds
- ¼ cup Crushed Walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. Veg. Oil
- ⅓ cup Milk
- a pinch if salt
- 250g Quark (Curd Cheese but plain yogurt can also be used as substitute)
- 200g Frischkäse (Cream Cheese)
- 100g Creme Fraiche (also Creme Fraiche but sour cream can also be used as substitite)
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 envelop Gelatin Powder
- lemon or orange peel -grated
- Combine all ingredients for Crust in a bowl and mix until all parts are moistened. Try pressing a bit to the bottom of the bowl, it should stick and pack firmly, if not add a bit more oil. Transfer to a springform and spread evenly. Press crumbs until it is sticking firmly to the bottom of the spring form. Set aside.
- Dissolve gelatin in 3 Tbsp cold water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a sauce pan. Mix well. Add the gelatin. Cook mixture in low heat and keep on stirring until texture is really smooth. Do not let it boil.
- Pour filling on top of the crust slowly. Cover with plastic foil and chill in the fridge for an hour or until the surface is no longer sticking to finger when touched.
- Add toppings before serving.
I find it easier to crush the biscuits using a really deep bowl or a cup and a pestle (I use the one we have for making Caipirinha). Then just add the other ingredients in the same bowl or cup for mixing.
If you can not find butter biscuits, Graham crackers also are good to use for this recipe.