This recipe makes a thick, smooth and creamy pumpkin soup. It is one of my favorite soups, probably because of how easy it is to make yet it turns any meal into a fine dining experience.
More popularly served during time of Thanksgiving, but why wait?
To create the heart design: Using a teaspoon, drop some circles of cream on the surface then get a toothpick and run it through the middle of the circles. Now you have a perfect soup for Valentine’s dinner.
- 4 cups pumpkin/squash, cubed
- 2 cups potato, cubed
- ½ cup onion leek, sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 cups chicken broth (or plain water and 2 chicken broth cube)
- 1 cup all purpose cream or heavy cream
- In a saucepan on medium heat, sauté the onion leeks in butter until tender. Add pumpkin and potato cubes. Stir and let cook for a minute.
- Add chicken broth and cover. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until both pumpkin and potato are soft.
- Remove from heat. Place everything in a blender or use stab mixer to make puree. Once all chunks are gone and texture is smooth, put back in the saucepan but this time on low heat. Add salt as desired. Add the cream and serve.
If using chicken broth cube, it might already have salt so no need to add more.