A quick healthy recipe for when you are in a hurry or do not have enough time to cook an elaborate lunch or dinner for your everyday meal. This Chicken Broccoli is great as rice topping with sauce that is a touch of sweet and salty. A complete meal in a bowl, my husband and I enjoy it as “TV dinner” on our movie nights.
I prefer to have broccoli a little undercooked so it remains crisp and not all soft and mushy and you get more of the nutrients eating them this way, or raw even better. Broccoli is considered a good source of nutrients because it is rich in vitamin C, carotenoids (vitamin A-like substances), fiber, calcium, and folate. It is also a source of many substances called phytochemicals, or plant chemicals, that may have anticancer properties. So better eat your broccoli!!!
- 300 g chicken breast fillet, cut into small slices
- 500 g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp oil
- salt & pepper
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch and brown sugar in 1 cup water.
- In a pan under medium-high heat, saute garlic and onion in hot oil for a few seconds then add the slices of chicken and stir until all sides are cooked.
- Stir in the washed broccoli florets and add the water with cornstarch and sugar and soy sauce. Cover pan and lower heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce starts to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper and continuously stir while sauce gets thicker for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan from heat and top chicken broccoli on steamed rice and serve.