An all-in-one meal perfect for dinner or for any special occasions. This is a very simple and easy recipe for a really creamy Beef Stroganoff.
Another thing I like about this recipe is that it is so versatile, it may be serve with any of your favorite pasta or even rice. In this one, I served it over egg noodles and I added more Champignon mushrooms… yum!
Canned cream of mushroom is not easily available here in Germany, or maybe they are but I haven’t found the popular American brand, Campbell, except online where they cost a fortune, maybe because of importing it and all. So I usually just make my own cream of mushroom soup and it works wonderfully all the time.
- 300g beef round steak
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ tsp. paprika (not spicy)
- 1 cup sour cream (schmand in German)(see below Tips)
- 250g precooked noodles
- Salt & Pepper
- Slice beef across the grain into very thin slices.
- Boil the beef in water (about a cup) in low heat for at least 30 minutes or until it is tender.
- In skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add beef and cook until browned.
- Pour in the soup and paprika. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add sour cream and mix. Add salt & pepper as desired.
- Serve over noodles.
Instead of a can of cream of mushroom, you may use the powdered mushroom soup by dissolving 3 tbsp in a cup of water. This is usually already salted so no need to add more.
You may also add Champignon mushrooms after step 2 if desired.
This has a hint of a sour taste because of the sour cream, but for others who prefer it to be creamy but not sour, then use Cream cheese (Frischkäse) instead. Or just use All-purpose Cream (Sahne) and add it together with the soup.