This beef and peppers dish is another quick and easy recipe for people who are in a hurry or do not have enough time but still want to cook a decent meal.
I find myself always running out of time since I started to work again. Although it is only a 6-hour day job, I need about 40 minutes to drive to work and the same back, so that means 1 hour 20 minutes everyday. And on weekends there are lists of house chores and other stuff to do. So lately I really have little time or energy to cook elaborate meals. Good thing, Armin is not a picky customer 😉 . So quick and easy recipes are my life saver of late. Just like this Beef and Peppers recipe.
I got this recipe from my mama who got it from my aunt. It is really simple recipe, consisting mainly of beef and lots of bell peppers. Bell peppers in the Philippines are not that cheap, I think it is because they are only grown in cool places which Philippines is definitely not, except for two places I know: Baguio and Tagaytay. So when I got a bag of bell peppers when I went food shopping yesterday and this is the first thought that entered my mind.
Cooking beef can be tricky sometimes, unless you get a prime cut beef which can be very expensive, they could turn dry and chewy. The technique I learned for sauteing beef is to cook it quickly over high heat and not to overcook it to keep it tender.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 300 grams beef tenderloin or sirloin, cut into think slices
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute garlic and onion in butter until tender.
- Turn heat to high and add the beef. Saute for about 2-3 minutes just until beef starts to turn in color but still has some pink spots, pour in the cornstarch mixture and add the bell peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook for another minute or so but do not overcook and bell peppers should still be a bit crisp.
- Remove from heat and serve on top of rice immediately.