Try this simple recipe for sweet and savory BBQ Pork Belly grilled in the oven. It only needs 5 ingredients that are usually already found in your kitchen.
Spring has officially begun and soon it will be time for grilling and barbecues. I do not know about you, but I have enough of winter and am itching to work on our garden and set up the terrace to enjoy eating al fresco. But since it is still chilly and the weather is so unpredictable at the moment, I guess I will have to settle with oven grilling.
The recipe for this BBQ Pork Belly is so simple that it only needs 5 ingredients for the marinade, namely soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper and they are usually already in our pantry so I can make this anytime the craving for BBQ strikes. I added some chili flakes to make it a bit spicy but you can omit that if you are not a big fan of spicy food. I let it marinate overnight to let the meat fully absorb the flavor, however, if you pressed for time, a few hours should also suffice. After marinating, transfer what is left from the marinade into a bowl to use for basting.
You could also use the same marinade for other cuts of pork, like ribs or for other kinds of meat, like chicken.
- 4 big garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn, crushed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup [url href=”http://amzn.to/2mpM1Yo” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]soy sauce[/url]
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- <g class=”gr_ gr_50 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim gr_inline_cards ContextualSpelling multiReplace” id=”50″ data-gr-id=”50″>1 kilo</g> pork belly, sliced about 3/4 inch thick
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a big bowl and mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Dip each piece of sliced pork belly, covering all sides completely then place them in a plastic freezer bag. Seal and place in the fridge. Let it marinate for a few hours or, better, overnight.
- Arrange the marinated pork belly slices on a grill rack and place it on the middle rack of the oven with another baking pan placed below it to catch the drippings.
- Bake the each side at 180°C for about 20-30 minutes while basting the meat with the remaining marinade every 10 minutes.