- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (see alternative on Note below)
- Heat oven to 180°C. Grease and line round cake pans (8-9 inch/20-22cm). In a medium bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk and set aside. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally.This will take about 5 minutes or more. Beat in vanilla and eggs until well blended. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating well and scraping the bowl after each addition. Pour batter evenly into pans.
- Bake 27 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; place on wire racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Fill and frost as desired.
Note: You can use regular milk if buttermilk is not available then use baking powder instead of baking soda by adding it to the dry mixture in step 1 or see post for alternative for Buttermilk by clicking here.
It’s also good to know how to grease and line your pans.