Thin, tender crepes brushed with caramel sauce then wrapped around sweet, fresh banana. Topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with almonds and grated chocolate. Heaven!!!
I first had a taste of this dessert in a hotel restaurant when I was still in the Philippines and I just know I had to learn how to make it! You would have thought that making crepes is as easy as making pancakes…well it is, but only if you got the right recipe to make it so thin but also soft and tender that you can roll or fold it.
The first recipes I tried tasted fine but some became too crisp after cooling down and breaks when I start to roll them. Then I leaned a simple tricks, by adding hot water to the batter to keep it thin. And brushing the crepes with butter while it is hot. I would also suggest to make the Choco-Caramel Sauce ahead as this can be stored in the fridge for days or even weeks Click here for recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups hot water
- 6 pcs big bananas
- 1 cup choco-caramel sauce
- 200 ml all purpose or whipping cream
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup almond flakes-optional
- 1 cup chocolate flakes-optional
- 1/4 cup butter for coating
- Cut bananas into half lengthwise. Set aside. Add 1/2 Tbsp sugar to cream and whip using a hand mixer and put in fridge for later use.
- Combine flour, eggs, milk, oil, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Using a mixer, mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Preheat pan at medium-low heat. Brush or spay pan with oil if needed. Add 1/4 cup of hot water at a time to the batter while whisking continuously. Add more until you reach a melted ice cream like consistency.
- Pour about half a ladle of batter into the preheated pan. Lift pan and swirl to cover the base of the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes or until light golden, Then turn and cook other side for another minute. Place cooked crepe in a plate and using a brush lightly coat with butter.
- To assemble, take a crepe, coat surface with choco-caramel sauce. Place banana at one end of the crepe and roll. Place banana crepe on a serving plate and pipe whipped cream on top. Drizzle with a bit more choco-caramel sauce and top with almond and chocolate flakes if desired.